In June 2022, Microsoft officially discontinued Internet Explorer and ended support on all operating systems except for some LTSC and Windows Server versions. Basically, for the average user, Internet Explorer is dead and there is no easy way to access it in Windows 11. That said, Internet Explorer is still needed to access websites built on older frameworks, mostly from government and financial institutions. So, in this article, we have added three methods to launch and use Internet Explorer in Windows 11. You will be able to run Internet Explorer (IE 11) on Windows 11 as before. On that note, let’s move on to the steps.
Enable and use Internet Explorer in Windows 11 (2022).
In this tutorial, we have included three ways to use Internet Explorer in Windows 11. The first two methods let you access OG Internet Explorer in full glory, while the last one lets you load websites in IE mode on Microsoft Edge. Based on your needs, you can switch to the method you want using the table below.
Note: For security reasons, I would not recommend using Internet Explorer for all your web activities. Only use it occasionally to access old and incompatible websites.
Start Internet Explorer in Windows 11 with Control Panel Trick
owing to XenoPanther On Twitter, we recently discovered a neat trick to launch a full-fledged Internet Explorer on Windows 11. You do not need to download Internet Explorer 11. Instead, you can open Internet Explorer in Windows 11 with a few clicks without much complexity. Note that this trick doesn’t work on some builds of Windows 11. We tested it independently on the latest Windows 11 Stable and Dev builds and it worked flawlessly.
If Internet Explorer opens Microsoft Edge on your computer, go to the next method for a specific solution. On that note, let’s go through the steps.
1. First, press the Windows key to open the Start menu and type “Internet Options“. Now open it from the search result.
2. Next, go to the “Applications” tab and select “Manage attachments“.
3. In the next window, click “Learn more about toolbars and extensions” in the lower left corner.
4. And that’s it. Internet Explorer will open right away on your Windows 11 PC.
Create a VBS shortcut to open Internet Explorer in Windows 11
Sure, you can turn on IE mode in the Microsoft Edge browser (as mentioned below) to load legacy web apps, but if you really want to access Internet Explorer in its original UI, a simple VBS script lets you do that. I tested the script on my computer running the latest Windows 11 Pro 22H2 stable build (22621.819, November 8, 2022) and it worked like a charm. So, follow the steps below and you are good to go.
1. First, right click on Desktop or anywhere you want and select New -> Text document.
2. After opening the text file, copy and paste Paste the following code into a Notepad file.
3. After that click on File -> Save.
4. Here, click on the drop-down menu next to “Save as type” and set it to “All files (*.*)“.
5. Next, set a name for the shortcut
.vbs extension In the end. For example, I named the file
Internet Explorer.vbs . Now save the file to a preferred location like your desktop.
6. As you can see, the VBS file is created on top Desk.
7. Now, Double-click the VBS file, and there are Internet Explorer 11 will open on your Windows 11 PC and works flawlessly without any issues. After that, just double-click the VBS file to use IE 11.
To use Internet Explorer in Windows 11, enable IE mode in Edge
If you are happy with Microsoft Edge on your Windows 11 PC and sometimes need to load certain web pages in Internet Explorer, then you can rely on IE mode in Edge. It’s a seamless and secure solution that works really well without leaving a modern web browser. With that said, let’s get to the steps.
1. Open Microsoft Edge From the Start menu on your Windows 11 PC.
2. Next, click on the 3-dot menu in the upper right corner and select “Parameters“.
3. From here “Default browser” menu in the left panel.
4. Once you are here, select the option “Allow Internet Explorer to open sites in Microsoft Edge”Always (recommended)“.
5. After that, from the drop-down menu, change “Allow sites to reload in Internet Explorer mode (IE mode)” to “Allow” and then click “.Start again“.
6. Now click on “Add” next to “Internet Explorer mode pages” and enter the full URL of the web page. Be sure to add
http:// to the beginning of the URL.
7. Now, go ahead and open that particular URL It will load the webpage in Edge and in IE mode on Windows 11.
8. If you want to quickly reload pages in IE mode, open the 3-dot menu again and right-click on “Reload in Internet Explorer mode”. Here select “Show in toolbar” option.
9. This will add Button for IE mode In the Edge toolbar. Now when you are on a web page, click the IE mode button and it will load the web page in the old frame. Press the button again and it will turn off IE mode.
Use Internet Explorer 11 on Windows 11 with ease
So you can activate Internet Explorer in Windows 11 and use it to access old websites. I generally use IE mode in Microsoft Edge, but I guess there are old school users who are more used to Internet Explorer’s UI. Anyway, it’s all from us. If you want to enable Hyper-V on Windows 11 Home, go to our related guide here. We have a special guide for you to enable and test Smart Application Management in Windows 11. Finally, if you have any questions, let us know in the comment section below.