Bitcoin is generally considered to be the first mainstream digital currency. It was first used for commercial purposes 2010Bitcoin is now the most well-known and the most widely accepted digital currency on the planet. It is adopted by more companies and individuals than any similar alternative. A few countries have even made Bitcoin their national currency.
Just like any traditional currency or stock, anyone can invest in Bitcoin by buying some and watching how it reacts to the market. Unlike traditional currencies and stocks, Bitcoin’s value fluctuates more quickly and more severely. This makes Bitcoin one of the most interesting and unpredictable investments available.
While Bitcoin is attractive, investors should be cautious and educate themselves before investing. What to expect.
Is Bitcoin a good investment?
- Bitcoin is gaining popularity as a financial asset and investment opportunity.
- Unlike more traditional investments, Bitcoin can change rapidly in value due to changing supply and demand, changing national regulations and so-called “whale” investors who can influence the space.
- You can buy Bitcoin through online exchanges.
- Be sure to consult a financial advisor before making any investment.
How Much Can Bitcoin Change in Value?
Bitcoin, like anything that trades in a market, will experience significant changes in value. Over the years, Bitcoin’s value has sometimes fluctuated dramatically: in 2019, each Bitcoin was worth about $5,000; By the end of 2019, this price had changed to $60,000; and hovered around $20,000 for most of 2022.
Bitcoin is highly volatilebecause the currency is available for international trade 24 hours a day. Calculations suggest that Bitcoin may see changes in value 2-3 percent daily. In comparison, most currencies and precious metals see average changes of less than half a percent per day.
This high volatility makes Bitcoin riskier than many other investments. However, this volatility has a positive side: The currency can also appreciate dramatically.
Why is Bitcoin so volatile?
Understanding Bitcoin’s volatility is critical to helping investors make wise decisions with their money. The main reasons are:
- Supply and demand. As with any investment, these two fundamental concepts affect the value of Bitcoin. Prices tend to be higher when there are fewer digital coins to trade. Bitcoin is limited to only 21 million tokens, so its value can increase at any time the increase in available supply stops. When Bitcoin’s popularity increases demand for the digital coin, prices also rise.
- State and National Regulations. In general, the less regulation, the easier it is for people to accept and use the investment. If people are banned from using Bitcoin, the currency cannot thrive and demand decreases. This can affect the overall market value of Bitcoin.
- Whales. Individuals or companies that hold large amounts of any digital currency are known as “whales”. When whales buy or sell large stakes in Bitcoin, the market responds disproportionately. A massive selloff of Bitcoin by one or more whales could indicate that Bitcoin has reached a value peak. This can cause a chain reaction where others follow suit, which can quickly devalue the currency.
Trading volume for Bitcoin varies daily. However, this volume can be significant when new developments occur. The Bitcoin community a a close-knit group of investors and supporters with members around the world constantly looking for the latest developments. They want to see how the currency is changing and what they can expect from their investment. Therefore, people will often try to see what the community is thinking about when figuring out whether or not a currency will change.
How can I get Bitcoin?
This is one of the reasons why Bitcoin is a popular investment how easy it is for people to get it. Exchanges The likes of Coinbase, Coins-e.com, and Cryptsy help people buy Bitcoin. These exchanges include exchange rates between Bitcoin and traditional currencies called fiat currencies to help investors understand the costs of their potential investment. Exchanges also allow investors to trade cryptocurrencies and fiat currencies on their platform.
Investors need it too cryptocurrency wallets. Crypto wallets store critical information about investors’ currencies. It includes the public and private keys necessary to conduct financial transactions in a secure, private and responsible manner. Wallet keys are essential for data encryption and decryption, a function that prevents unauthorized individuals from accessing other people’s currencies.
As Bitcoin became more and more common, so did access to Bitcoin. Bitcoin ATMs is becoming more common. These machines allow people to buy Bitcoin, exchange crypto assets, and withdraw Bitcoin as fiat currency.
Another important reason why Bitcoin is so popular is because it pioneered the ability for investors to buy fractions of coins. Bitcoin tokens are divided into eight decimal places. This allows those with limited funds to still be users and investors.
Bitcoin as a financial asset
Bitcoin is relatively new to the market compared to more traditional investments such as stocks and bonds. This makes it unique and somewhat attractive to casual investors. That uniqueness also led to a question whose answer may involve government surveillance: Is there Bitcoins and other cryptocurrency securities or commodities?
Some consider cryptocurrencies like Bitcoin to be commodities because, like traditional currencies, anyone can use them to buy goods and services; Others consider some cryptocurrencies to be securities because the digital coins purchased are investments in the companies that issue them.
One thing is certain: Bitcoin’s unique and unpredictable nature makes it attractive to many investors and portfolios.
Investment in Bitcoin
Bitcoin, like any other investment, comes with risk. The volatility of its price and the unpredictability of its value are serious concerns. But security is also an issue; like all technologies, malicious hackers can and do find ways to exploit digital currencies and the platforms they operate on. Hundreds of millions of dollars worth of cryptocurrency are stolen every year.
If you consider all the factors, Bitcoin can make an attractive investment. It can even work in conjunction with other individual investments, such as stocks or bonds, to better diversify investors’ portfolios. As always, it is important for investors to educate themselves and work with financial planners and fiduciaries who have extensive experience in the field.